Founded in 1917 and located in Charleston, West Virginia, Mountain State Insurance Agency is an independent agency serving large and small business and personal clients throughout West Virginia and the surrounding area.
Mountain State Insurance Agency was founded by William Ransom Johnson in Montgomery, WV, and has since had offices in Montgomery, Clendenin, and Charleston.
Until 2000, MSIA was a typical small-town insurance agency serving miscellaneous commercial and personal insurance clients with only four employees.
Ross Johnson purchased a controlling interest in Mountain State Insurance Agency in 2000. Since then, Ross has become the sole shareholder and the agency has moved to its current Charleston location on Kanawha Boulevard in downtown Charleston.
In January of 2019 Mountain State Insurance purchased the Ted V. Kluemper Agency in Huntington, WV. MSIA now has offices in Charleston, WV and Huntington, WV servicing commercial and personal accounts in both cities and the surrounding regions. The agency currently has 25 employees.
- Independent Insurance Agents of WV (IIAWV)
- Contractors Association of West Virginia (CAWV)
- Independent Oil & Gas Association of West Virginia (IOGAWV)
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. West Virginia Chapter (ABC)
- West Virginia Land & Mineral Owners Association (WVLMOA)
- Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America (IIABA)
Insurance Industry Affiliations:
- Reagan Consulting and IIABA “Best Practices Agency”
- Trusted Choice
- Certified Work Comp Advisor
Continental Petroleum, LLC and Horizon Energy Corporation have used Mountain State Insurance Agency as our insurance carrier for ten years. During this period, we have had a great working relationship with Mountain State Insurance and our agent, Pat Kee. Both have shown that they have our best interests as their priority.
Robert R. Jones II & Robert R. Jones, President & Manager, Horizon Energy Corporation